Thursday, November 4, 2010

Options



As I started thinking about motor/tranny selections on the rebuild, I knew right off the bat that it had to be a Chevrolet motor.  The obvious choice to me at the time was a small block chevy (SBC) motor.  It made sense because there are virtually endless options with these motors.  What I was originally thinking was a “stroked” 350 Cubic Inch, or what they call a 383 Stroker.  That is a motor that would potentially make a lot of power, yet still be compact enough to fit nicely within the fender-walls.  I was talking with my uncle (who is very experienced with building motors) and he suggested using an LS motor.  I had assumed that you would need a full computer system to operate one of these high-tech machines.  However, I learned there are so many aftermarket parts and options now that I started seriously thinking about looking for one.  For those that don’t know, a GM LS motor was a clean-sheet redesign of the SBC that occurred in the mid-nineties.  They are also referred to as Generation 4 chevy motors.  The original design utilized an aluminum block, and took the best of the later model generation 3 motors (LT, and Vortec).  The LS1 (5.7 L) came with 6-bolt mains, roller cam, aluminum block and heads, and the potential for big power.  As I researched the options, I read many accounts of LS motors making 500+ hp with just a few minor upgrades.  Another factor is that pre-war chevys are very commonly built with SBC’s, so I really wanted to find a way to differentiate this car.
The hunt was on for an LS motor.  I started looking for either a 5.7L LS1 or a 6.0L LQ9 or LQ4 (truck motor version of an LS).  I finally ran across a garage in my travels where the owner knew exactly what I was going for, and sold me an LS1 motor out of a 2000 Camero.


Next I have to choose and purchase a transmission, which promises to be one of the most expensive single items of the project.  I’m looking at either a T-5, or T-56, the 5 and 6 speed respectively transmissions for later model GM sports cars.  Yes, it will most certainly be a manual.  Also in a later post I will discuss what I’m thinking in terms of a rear end.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment