Thursday, November 18, 2010

Disassembly


Now begins the process of taking the vehicle apart down to the frame.  I’m doing some specific things that will help when I’m ready to reassemble.  First off, I’m taking plenty of pictures of the parts and pieces as they come off and just before I remove things.  This will help if I need to know where something came from down the road.  Next, my wife found heavy duty zip-lock bags of various sizes and I am going to use them to document where the parts came from as they come off.  Going to use bigger plastic containers for larger pieces.  I’m saving ALL the nuts and bolts, even if they are destroyed in the removal process (happening quite a bit), so that when I purchase new hardware I’ll have an idea of the bolt size that came off each particular area.  I’ll start documenting as I go, but lets just say I have the seats out and the trunk lid off... 
One thing that’s amusing is that I continue to find little odd options and design quirks that strike me as being vastly different than what is the norm today.  I’ll post more about these later.  Often as I’m unbolting a part I wonder if this is the first time that this particular piece has been off since this car was assembled in 1939.  In a way, I feel like an archeologist uncovering a piece of American history.


No comments:

Post a Comment