Monday, November 29, 2010

Plywood





After I got the car pulled into the garage, I started taking measurements and planning the project.  I then got the car up on jack stands and pulled the wheels off.  This revealed more interesting parts and pieces, including some very peculiar looking knee-action shocks.  I finally got around to disassembling the interior, starting with removing the seats. The vehicle is remarkably complete.  All of the handles, levers, and knobs are there, albeit in rough condition.  It would appear that the upholstery has been re-done.  The most peculiar thing I found is that several major panels are made from 5/8-inch plywood.  The trunk bottom panel, which separates the trunk area from the spare tire storage beneath, is plywood.  So is the panel that separates the trunk and the passenger compartment.  Additionally, since this vehicle is a business coupe and does not have a back seat, the floor panel where the back seat would go is also plywood (pictured above).  I started by just unbolting the fasteners that would come off by hand (1939 Quirk: all of the interior screws and most of the exterior screws are button-head slotted screws, unusual for modern cars).  I then realized that the majority of these screws would not be easily dislodged.  My answer to that is usually to bust out the cutting torch, but in this case I didn’t think it would be a good idea since the screws were penetrating plywood.  Instead, I utilized a variety of methods including air chisel, hacksaw, bolt cutters, and just plain old busting the wood.  For being plywood from 1939, it was in very good condition… probably because it was soaked with oil and other unknown liquids that seemed to have prevented decay.  Got the plywood out and found another interesting fact about this vehicle… turns out that underneath the plywood and behind the seats is the fuel tank.  It didn’t take much time to remove, but it brought to mind a bit of a quandary.  In modern vehicles, you would never find a fuel tank inside the body of a vehicle.  Fuel tanks are usually mounted under the vehicle.  My plan had always been to install a modern Polyethylene fuel tank/cell, but this got me thinking about where I should put it.  If I install where the old one came out, then I would be basically putting it behind the driver.  However, there is no room for it at all underneath the car.  I guess it wouldn’t be too different than putting a racing fuel cell in the trunk like most drag racers.  I’m still pondering this one, but leaning toward putting it in the same spot and sealing the compartment with steel or aluminum (not wood).  At any rate, the new one will be of modern design and safety standards.  Now that the entire interior is completely removed I can say with confidence that the car has very little rust.  A few spots under the wood, but nothing remotely grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment